[Event Report] The Project for Considering the Future of Precision Medicine with Industry, Government, Academia, and Civil Society – The Policy Dialogue Event “Challenges and Prospects for the Improving Patient Access to Genomic Cancer Medicine” (October 11, 2023)
Health and Global Policy Institute (HGPI) held the policy dialogue event “Challenges and Prospects for the Improving Patient Access to Genomic Cancer Medicine” on October 11, 2023.
Personalized cancer medicine, in which treatment is tailored to individuals in accordance with the genetic mutations and other characteristics of their cancer, is expected to play an important role in the future.
We believe that among personalized cancer care, genomic cancer medicine can be delivered more broadly to the public as several years have now passed since Comprehensive Genomic Profiling (CGP; or cancer gene panel tests) was granted health insurance coverage in 2019, and those serving in clinical settings are starting to gain experience with this form of medicine.
Moreover, the “Bill on the Comprehensive and Systematic Promotion of Measures to Ensure the Public Can Access High-Quality, Suitable Genomic Medicine with Peace of Mind” (a bill to promote genomic cancer medicine) was passed in June 2023.
However, there are policy challenges with respect to delivering genomic cancer medicine may be not only issues that are universally faced by Japanese healthcare, but also many issues that are unique to cancer genome medicine.
HGPI held, Policy Dialogue Event “Challenges and Prospects for the Improving Patient Access to Genomic Cancer Medicine” on October 11, 2023 to deepen discussions based on Policy Recommendations “Improving Patient Access to Genomic Cancer Medicine policy proposal” (August 10, 2023) and to serve as a bridge for implementation into society.
- Date & Time: Wednesday, October 23, 2023; form 13:30 to 15:00 JST
- Format: Hybrid (In-Person and Online (Zoom Webinars))
- Venue: Zenkoku Choson Kaikan
- Sponsors (Japanese Order):
National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS) Global Health Innovation Policy Program (GHIPP)
Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Bayer Yakuhin, Ltd.
Janssen Pharmaceutical K.K.
[Program] (Titles omitted, Japanese order)
|13:30-13:35||Opening Remarks and Introduction|
|Haruka Sakamoto (Senior Manager, HGPI)|
|13:35-14:05||Panel Discussion (1) “Measures needed to make Genomic Cancer medicine more common”|
Shinsuke Amano (Executive Director, Japan Federation of Cancer Patient Groups/Executive Director, Group Nexus Japan)
Moderator: Osamu Takemoto (Program Specialist, HGPI)
|14:15-14:45||Panel Discussion (2) “Measures to improve patient access to genomic cancer medicine in rural area”|
Naomi Sakurai (President, Cancer Solutions Co., Ltd)
Moderator: Shu Suzuki (Senior Associate, HGPI)
|Kiyoshi Kurokawa (Chairman, HGPI)|
Top Research & Recommendations Posts
- [Announcement] HGPI Joins Call for “Global Health and Medical Community Unite To Demand End Fossil Fuel Dependency at COP28” (November 1, 2023)
- [Research Paper] “Rethinking Japan’s Health System Sustainability Under the Planetary Health Framework” Published in Health Systems & Reform (November 21, 2023)
- [Research Report] The Public Opinion Survey on Child-Rearing in Modern Japan (Final Report) (March 4, 2022)
- [Policy Recommendations] Furthering the Development of Precision Cancer Medicine —Proposals for Effective Policy Changes Based on Key Characteristics of Precision Medicine in Cancer Treatment— (September 20, 2022)
- [Activity Report] HGPI Submits Requests for the G7 Hiroshima Summit to the G7 Sous-Sherpa (December 23, 2022)
- [Urgent Recommendations] The Kidney Disease Control Promotion Project – Establishing Kidney Disease Control Measures with Patient, Citizen, and Community Engagement and Collaboration: Recommendations for Current Issues and Topics in Kidney Disease Control (May 11, 2022)
- [Case Study] Akari Shigemi “The importance of proper antimicrobial use for MRSA infections – Beware of rifampicin monotherapy induced resistance” (AMR Alliance Japan, December 22, 2021)
- [Research Report] Survey of Japanese Physicians Regarding Climate Change and Health (December 3, 2023)
- [Recommendations] The Future of Dementia Policy 2022: Deepening Dementia Policies Centered on People Living with Dementia and their Families to Lead Global Society (July 13, 2022)
- [Announcement] HGPI Declares the Ministry of the Environment-led ‘Deco-Katsu Declaration’ and Participation in the ‘Deco-Katsu’ Supporters (October 16, 2023)
[Registration Open] Online Public Symposium “Dementia Risk Reduction: How Society Should Face the Individualization of Risk” (December 12, 2023)
[Registration Open] (Webinar) HGPI Cooperation with Lancet Countdown 2023 Japan Presentation “Climate Change as a Children’s Health Issue: The Latest Lancet Report Sounds the Alarm for Health Commitments” (December 14, 2023)
[Event Report] The 1st Advisory Board Meeting for Patient and Public Involvement (PPI) Support Project “Necessary Steps for Promoting PPI in Policy Making” (October 3, 2023)
[Policy Recommendations] Coming Together to Protect and Foster: Promoting Innovative and Sustainable Planetary Health in the Asia-Pacific Region to Build Resilient Health Systems (November 29, 2023)
[Announcement] HGPI Endorsed “For the Health of People and Planet: Priorities for a Healthy COP28” (November 30, 2023)