CSIS /HGPI “U.S.-Japan Health Policy Project” Policy Recommendation
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in the United States and the Health and Global Policy Institute (HGPI) of Japan, launched a joint project to create a dialogue on major health care policy issues and solutions in the two nations in early 2011.
The goal of the project is to generate fresh analyses and recommendations in critical areas of health care in Japan and the United States. It provides an opportunity for informed discussion of pragmatic next steps to address priority health care concerns. It aims to generate pragmatic and actionable options in each key policy areas that can increase the efficiency and quality of health care.
This project’s initial efforts focused on options for health care policies that addressed the development of healthcare information systems and the design of hospital payment reforms and CSIS and HGPI released 2 policy recommendations on these themes; “Addressing Japan’s Healthcare Challenges with Information Technology: Recommendations from the U.S. Experience” authored by John Halamka, MD, MS. and “How Can Japan’s DPC Inpatient Payment System be Strengthened? Lessons from the US Medicare Prospective System” authored by Gerard Anderson, PhD and Naoki Ikegami, MD, MA in August 2011, and “Information Technology in Healthcare: eHealth for Japanese Health Services” authored by Masanori Akiyama, MD and Ryozo Nagai, MD in March 2012.
After the Japan-US Health Policy Dialogue was initiated by CSIS and HGPI in January of 2011, the Tohoku earthquake-tsunami-and radiation disaster occurred on March 11. It has now been agreed by CSIS and HGPI that the next phase of the Japan-U.S. Health Policy Dialogue will shift the project’s focus to collaborative US-Japan efforts to the respond to the health implications of the disaster.
Top Research & Recommendations Posts
- [Announcement] HGPI Joins Call for “Global Health and Medical Community Unite To Demand End Fossil Fuel Dependency at COP28” (November 1, 2023)
- [Research Paper] “Rethinking Japan’s Health System Sustainability Under the Planetary Health Framework” Published in Health Systems & Reform (November 21, 2023)
- [Research Report] Survey of Japanese Physicians Regarding Climate Change and Health (December 3, 2023)
- [Research Report] The Public Opinion Survey on Child-Rearing in Modern Japan (Final Report) (March 4, 2022)
- [Policy Recommendations] Furthering the Development of Precision Cancer Medicine —Proposals for Effective Policy Changes Based on Key Characteristics of Precision Medicine in Cancer Treatment— (September 20, 2022)
- [Activity Report] HGPI Submits Requests for the G7 Hiroshima Summit to the G7 Sous-Sherpa (December 23, 2022)
- [Announcement] HGPI Declares the Ministry of the Environment-led ‘Deco-Katsu Declaration’ and Participation in the ‘Deco-Katsu’ Supporters (October 16, 2023)
- [Research Report] Building a Mental Health Program for Children and Measuring its Effectiveness (June 16, 2022）
- [Urgent Recommendations] The Kidney Disease Control Promotion Project – Establishing Kidney Disease Control Measures with Patient, Citizen, and Community Engagement and Collaboration: Recommendations for Current Issues and Topics in Kidney Disease Control (May 11, 2022)
- [Case Study] Akari Shigemi “The importance of proper antimicrobial use for MRSA infections – Beware of rifampicin monotherapy induced resistance” (AMR Alliance Japan, December 22, 2021)
[Registration Open] Online Public Symposium “Dementia Risk Reduction: How Society Should Face the Individualization of Risk” (December 12, 2023)
[Registration Open] (Webinar) HGPI Cooperation with Lancet Countdown 2023 Japan Presentation “Climate Change as a Children’s Health Issue: The Latest Lancet Report Sounds the Alarm for Health Commitments” (December 14, 2023)
[Event Report] The 1st Advisory Board Meeting for Patient and Public Involvement (PPI) Support Project “Necessary Steps for Promoting PPI in Policy Making” (October 3, 2023)
[Policy Recommendations] Coming Together to Protect and Foster: Promoting Innovative and Sustainable Planetary Health in the Asia-Pacific Region to Build Resilient Health Systems (November 29, 2023)
[Announcement] HGPI Endorsed “For the Health of People and Planet: Priorities for a Healthy COP28” (November 30, 2023)