[Announcement] HGPI Joins Global Green and Healthy Hospitals (August 1, 2023)
date : 8/1/2023
Tags: Planetary Health
Health and Global Policy Institute (HGPI), officially joined Global Green and Healthy Hospitals (GGHH). The Global Green and Healthy Hospitals network has over 1,750 members in more than 80 countries who are using innovation, ingenuity, and investment to transform the health sector and foster a healthy, sustainable future.
HGPI launched the Planetary Health Project last year in an attempt to work with multi-stakeholders to identify current issues and to take future steps. Through our participation in the GGHH and collaboration with organizations working nationally and internationally, we hope to focus not only on the impact of climate change and environmental issues on human health, but also on the perspective of decarbonizing health care systems and institutions and reducing their environmental footprint.
■About Global Green and Healthy Hospitals (GGHH):
Global Green and Healthy Hospitals (GGHH) is an international network of hospitals, health care facilities, health systems, and health organizations dedicated to reducing their environmental footprint and promoting public and environmental health.
GGHH members share a goal of reducing the environmental footprint of the health sector and contributing to improved public and environmental health. The framework and roadmap to reach these goals are provided by the GGHH Agenda and its 10 interconnected sustainability goals for hospitals and health systems to work towards at their facilities.
To support members in their efforts to implement successful sustainability initiatives and projects related to the 10 Agenda goals, GGHH offers access to exclusive and innovative tools and resources.
■HHGG’s Ten Goals:
- LEADERSHIP: Prioritize Environmental Health
- CHEMICALS: Substitute Harmful Chemicals with Safer Alternatives
- WASTE: Reduce, Treat and Safely Dispose of Healthcare Waste
- ENERGY: Implement Energy Efficiency and Clean, Renewable Energy Generation
- WATER: Reduce Hospital Water Consumption and Supply Potable Water
- TRANSPORTATION: Improve Transportation Strategies for Patients and Staff
- FOOD: Purchase and Serve Sustainably Grown, Healthy Food
- PHARMACEUTICALS: Safely Manage and Dispose of Pharmaceuticals
- BUILDINGS: Support Green and Healthy Hospital Design and Construction
- PURCHASING: Buy Safer and More Sustainable Products and Materials
For more information on the activities of the GGHH, please click here.
Top Research & Recommendations Posts
- [Research Report] Survey of Japanese Physicians Regarding Climate Change and Health (December 3, 2023)
- [Research Paper] “Rethinking Japan’s Health System Sustainability Under the Planetary Health Framework” Published in Health Systems & Reform (November 21, 2023)
- [Announcement] HGPI Joins Call for “Global Health and Medical Community Unite To Demand End Fossil Fuel Dependency at COP28” (November 1, 2023)
- [Research Report] The Public Opinion Survey on Child-Rearing in Modern Japan (Final Report) (March 4, 2022)
- [Announcement] HGPI Endorsed “For the Health of People and Planet: Priorities for a Healthy COP28” (November 30, 2023)
- [Policy Recommendations] Furthering the Development of Precision Cancer Medicine —Proposals for Effective Policy Changes Based on Key Characteristics of Precision Medicine in Cancer Treatment— (September 20, 2022)
- [Activity Report] HGPI Submits Requests for the G7 Hiroshima Summit to the G7 Sous-Sherpa (December 23, 2022)
- [Urgent Recommendations] The Kidney Disease Control Promotion Project – Establishing Kidney Disease Control Measures with Patient, Citizen, and Community Engagement and Collaboration: Recommendations for Current Issues and Topics in Kidney Disease Control (May 11, 2022)
- [Research Report] Building a Mental Health Program for Children and Measuring its Effectiveness (June 16, 2022）
- [Policy Recommendations] Coming Together to Protect and Foster: Promoting Innovative and Sustainable Planetary Health in the Asia-Pacific Region to Build Resilient Health Systems (November 29, 2023)
[Registration Open] Online Public Symposium “Dementia Risk Reduction: How Society Should Face the Individualization of Risk” (December 12, 2023)
[Research Report] Survey of Japanese Physicians Regarding Climate Change and Health (December 3, 2023)
[Registration Open] (Webinar) The 122nd HGPI Seminar: Keeping Pace with Growing Diversity of Health Information in Health Communication (December 19, 2023)
[Policy Recommendations] Recommendation: Suggestions for Building a Resilient and Greener Health Care System Considering Sustainability and Environmental Concerns in the Revision of Medical, Nursing Care, and Disability Welfare Service Fees (December 6, 2023)
[Registration Open] Online Global Expert Meeting: Considering Participation Among People Living with Dementia in the Formulation of National Dementia Strategies and in Policy Making Processes (January 22, 2024)