[Announcement] HGPI Joins Connecting Climate Minds (July 19, 2023)
date : 7/19/2023
Tags: Planetary Health
Health and Global Policy Institute (HGPI) has joined Connecting Climate Minds, a global initiative funded by Wellcome Trust, that brings together expertise across research, policy, design, and lived experience from across the globe. The aim of the project is to develop a research and action agenda of global and regional community convenors dedicated to connecting climate change and mental health.
Climate change and increasing temperatures have been shown to increase levels of allergens and pollutants present in the air, leading to worsened air quality. Emerging evidence suggests that poor air quality can negatively impact mental health, in particular depression and anxiety and findings in a February 2022 report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), revealed that rapidly increasing climate change poses a rising threat to mental health and psychosocial well-being; from emotional distress to anxiety, depression, grief, and suicidal behavior.
HGPI will be involved in the Connecting Climate Minds project as a Regional Co-Convenor (RCC) to support Reginal Convener St. Luke’s Medical Center College of Medicine (SLMCCM) for Eastern and South-Eastern Asia and collaborate with other co-convenors of diverse geographies and disciplines to cultivate a connected, supported, and engaged community of practice on a global scale to create an actionable research agenda.
The outcome of this project is to:
- Develop a global research agenda
- Create work will be grounded in the needs of people with lived experience of mental health challenges in the context of climate change
- Deliver a series of regional and global dialogues
- Share our work and gather resources on an online platform
■ About St. Luke’s Medical Center College of Medicine
St. Luke’s Medical Center College of Medicine (SLMCCM) is one of the 58 medical schools in the Philippines. Established in 1994 as the medical school of the St. Luke’s Medical Center, it offers a 5-year Curriculum leading to the degree of Doctor of Medicine (MD). SLMCCM is duly accredited by the Commission on Higher Education. The Planetary and Global Health Program (PGHP) of the SLMCCM introduced innovative educational opportunities; implemented externally funded research projects on a diverse array of planetary health issues; and meaningfully engaged with local, national, and international governmental institutions, aiming to become a leading center of planetary and global health education, research, and translation in the Philippines and in Southeast Asia over the next decade.
Top Research & Recommendations Posts
- [Research Report] Survey of Japanese Physicians Regarding Climate Change and Health (December 3, 2023)
- [Research Paper] “Rethinking Japan’s Health System Sustainability Under the Planetary Health Framework” Published in Health Systems & Reform (November 21, 2023)
- [Announcement] HGPI Joins Call for “Global Health and Medical Community Unite To Demand End Fossil Fuel Dependency at COP28” (November 1, 2023)
- [Research Report] The Public Opinion Survey on Child-Rearing in Modern Japan (Final Report) (March 4, 2022)
- [Announcement] HGPI Endorsed “For the Health of People and Planet: Priorities for a Healthy COP28” (November 30, 2023)
- [Policy Recommendations] Furthering the Development of Precision Cancer Medicine —Proposals for Effective Policy Changes Based on Key Characteristics of Precision Medicine in Cancer Treatment— (September 20, 2022)
- [Activity Report] HGPI Submits Requests for the G7 Hiroshima Summit to the G7 Sous-Sherpa (December 23, 2022)
- [Urgent Recommendations] The Kidney Disease Control Promotion Project – Establishing Kidney Disease Control Measures with Patient, Citizen, and Community Engagement and Collaboration: Recommendations for Current Issues and Topics in Kidney Disease Control (May 11, 2022)
- [Policy Recommendations] Coming Together to Protect and Foster: Promoting Innovative and Sustainable Planetary Health in the Asia-Pacific Region to Build Resilient Health Systems (November 29, 2023)
- [Research Report] Building a Mental Health Program for Children and Measuring its Effectiveness (June 16, 2022）
[Registration Open] Online Public Symposium “Dementia Risk Reduction: How Society Should Face the Individualization of Risk” (December 12, 2023)
[Research Report] Survey of Japanese Physicians Regarding Climate Change and Health (December 3, 2023)
[Registration Open] (Webinar) The 122nd HGPI Seminar: Keeping Pace with Growing Diversity of Health Information in Health Communication (December 19, 2023)
[Policy Recommendations] Recommendation: Suggestions for Building a Resilient and Greener Health Care System Considering Sustainability and Environmental Concerns in the Revision of Medical, Nursing Care, and Disability Welfare Service Fees (December 6, 2023)
[Registration Open] Online Global Expert Meeting: Considering Participation Among People Living with Dementia in the Formulation of National Dementia Strategies and in Policy Making Processes (January 22, 2024)