[Activity Report] HGPI Submits Requests for the G7 Hiroshima Summit to the G7 Sous-Sherpa (December 23, 2022)
On Friday, December 23, 2022, Health and Global Policy Institute (HGPI) visited the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as a member of the G7 CSO Coalition 2023 and where we met with G7 Sous-Sherpa Mr. Kazuhiko Nakamura (Deputy Director-General/Deputy Assistant Minister (Ambassador), Economic Affairs Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
After providing an overview of the coalition and introducing a joint letter to the Sherpas of Japan and Germany, members of the Coalition in attendance provided explanations on written requests regarding various subjects including the abolishment of nuclear weapons, education, elderly people, climate change, global health, and humanitarian assistance. This was followed by explanations of written requests on a number of other issues (including human rights in Asia, water and sanitation, food security, business and human rights, pharmaceutical development and access, and child labor).
The requests submitted by HGPI covered global health topics in the fields of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and planetary health and are described below.
- Recommendation 1: Continue providing the political leadership needed to combat AMR.
- Recommendation 2: Establish opportunities to examine AMR countermeasures at discussions that span multiple fields like the Joint Conference of Foreign Ministers and Health Ministers.
- Request 1: The Government of Japan should discuss the creation of health systems that are climate-resilient, sustainable, and climate-neutral in the context of Universal Health Coverage (UHC)
- Request 2: The Government of Japan should commit to the goals of the Alliance for Transformative Action on Climate Change and Health (ATACH) alongside the Governments of France and Italy (who have also yet to join) and advance domestic and global initiatives
For details, please visit the G7 CSO Coalition Website, click here. (Please note that this report is provided in Japanese only.)
■ Japan Civil Society Coalition on G7 Summit 2023
The purpose of the G7 Civil Society Coalition 2023 is to encourage the governments of the G7 nations, including the Japanese government as the hosting country, to ensure that the G7 Summit Leaders’ Meeting and related ministerial meetings to be held in Japan in 2023 reflect the voices of civil society and contribute to the realization of the “No One Left Behind” goal of the 2030 Agenda.
Health and Global Policy Institute(HGPI) participates as a member.
Top Research & Recommendations Posts
- [Research Report] Survey of Japanese Physicians Regarding Climate Change and Health (December 3, 2023)
- [Research Paper] “Rethinking Japan’s Health System Sustainability Under the Planetary Health Framework” Published in Health Systems & Reform (November 21, 2023)
- [Announcement] HGPI Joins Call for “Global Health and Medical Community Unite To Demand End Fossil Fuel Dependency at COP28” (November 1, 2023)
- [Announcement] HGPI Endorsed “For the Health of People and Planet: Priorities for a Healthy COP28” (November 30, 2023)
- [Research Report] The Public Opinion Survey on Child-Rearing in Modern Japan (Final Report) (March 4, 2022)
- [Policy Recommendations] Coming Together to Protect and Foster: Promoting Innovative and Sustainable Planetary Health in the Asia-Pacific Region to Build Resilient Health Systems (November 29, 2023)
- [Research Report] Building a Mental Health Program for Children and Measuring its Effectiveness (June 16, 2022）
- [Activity Report] HGPI Submits Requests for the G7 Hiroshima Summit to the G7 Sous-Sherpa (December 23, 2022)
- [Public Comment Submission] Ministry of Foreign Affairs “Call for Opinions on the Draft Revisions to the Guidelines for the Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)” (November 22, 2023)
- [Urgent Recommendations] The Kidney Disease Control Promotion Project – Establishing Kidney Disease Control Measures with Patient, Citizen, and Community Engagement and Collaboration: Recommendations for Current Issues and Topics in Kidney Disease Control (May 11, 2022)
[Registration Open] Online Public Symposium “Dementia Risk Reduction: How Society Should Face the Individualization of Risk” (December 12, 2023)
[Research Report] Survey of Japanese Physicians Regarding Climate Change and Health (December 3, 2023)
[Registration Open] (Webinar) The 122nd HGPI Seminar: Keeping Pace with Growing Diversity of Health Information in Health Communication (December 19, 2023)
[Policy Recommendations] Recommendation: Suggestions for Building a Resilient and Greener Health Care System Considering Sustainability and Environmental Concerns in the Revision of Medical, Nursing Care, and Disability Welfare Service Fees (December 6, 2023)
[Registration Open] Online Global Expert Meeting: Considering Participation Among People Living with Dementia in the Formulation of National Dementia Strategies and in Policy Making Processes (January 22, 2024)