[Policy Recommendations] Recommendations for the 2023 G7 Hiroshima Summit: Advance Measures for Planetary Health That is in Line with Global Progress (November 10, 2022)
Health and Global Policy Institute (HGPI) Planetary Health Policy Team has released a proposal, “Recommendations for the 2023 G7 Hiroshima Summit: Advance Measures for Planetary Health in Line with Global Progress”.
The 27th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP27) is currently being held in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt. Issues regarding the environment and health have been discussed at COP27, including the World Health Organization (WHO) is organizing side events.
At the G7, a summit conference of the leading industrialized nations held in Germany in 2022, featured climate and health were raised as one of the major agendas. International momentum is building for the promotion of planetary health.
In 2023, the G7 Hiroshima Summit (May 19-21, 2023) is scheduled to be held. We hope that the Japanese government to lead the discussions in Japan and overseas while keeping in line with the global community, as signs of social and economic recovery from the COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) pandemic begin to emerge.
- Discussion Point 1: There is no room for doubt that the climate crisis and climate change will impact health. Starting with health professionals, all citizens must recognize that environmental problems are health problems and take comprehensive and inclusive actions to address them.
- Discussion Point 2: Health resilience to the climate crisis and climate change must be strengthened. We must promote prevention, preparedness, and response for events like floods, heat waves, and infectious disease outbreaks, as well as build environmentally friendly health systems.
- Discussion Point 3: Good examples of initiatives for planetary health have emerged on the prefectural or regional basis in the form of actions taken for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Expectations are high for efforts to share said practices, to expand them horizontally, and to disseminate them on the global level.
For details, please see the PDF linked below.
Top Research & Recommendations Posts
- [Research Report] Survey of Japanese Physicians Regarding Climate Change and Health (December 3, 2023)
- [Research Paper] “Rethinking Japan’s Health System Sustainability Under the Planetary Health Framework” Published in Health Systems & Reform (November 21, 2023)
- [Announcement] HGPI Joins Call for “Global Health and Medical Community Unite To Demand End Fossil Fuel Dependency at COP28” (November 1, 2023)
- [Announcement] HGPI Endorsed “For the Health of People and Planet: Priorities for a Healthy COP28” (November 30, 2023)
- [Research Report] The Public Opinion Survey on Child-Rearing in Modern Japan (Final Report) (March 4, 2022)
- [Policy Recommendations] Coming Together to Protect and Foster: Promoting Innovative and Sustainable Planetary Health in the Asia-Pacific Region to Build Resilient Health Systems (November 29, 2023)
- [Research Report] Building a Mental Health Program for Children and Measuring its Effectiveness (June 16, 2022）
- [Activity Report] HGPI Submits Requests for the G7 Hiroshima Summit to the G7 Sous-Sherpa (December 23, 2022)
- [Public Comment Submission] Ministry of Foreign Affairs “Call for Opinions on the Draft Revisions to the Guidelines for the Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)” (November 22, 2023)
- [Urgent Recommendations] The Kidney Disease Control Promotion Project – Establishing Kidney Disease Control Measures with Patient, Citizen, and Community Engagement and Collaboration: Recommendations for Current Issues and Topics in Kidney Disease Control (May 11, 2022)
[Registration Open] Online Public Symposium “Dementia Risk Reduction: How Society Should Face the Individualization of Risk” (December 12, 2023)
[Research Report] Survey of Japanese Physicians Regarding Climate Change and Health (December 3, 2023)
[Registration Open] (Webinar) The 122nd HGPI Seminar: Keeping Pace with Growing Diversity of Health Information in Health Communication (December 19, 2023)
[Policy Recommendations] Recommendation: Suggestions for Building a Resilient and Greener Health Care System Considering Sustainability and Environmental Concerns in the Revision of Medical, Nursing Care, and Disability Welfare Service Fees (December 6, 2023)
[Registration Open] Online Global Expert Meeting: Considering Participation Among People Living with Dementia in the Formulation of National Dementia Strategies and in Policy Making Processes (January 22, 2024)