[Recommendations] Restructuring Diagnostic Services and Achieving the Necessary Innovation to Promote AMR Control (May 26, 2023)
date : 5/26/2023
AMR Alliance Japan (Secretariat: Health and Global Policy Institute) aims to promote antimicrobial resistance (AMR) measures, and have published a proposal on the reconstruction of the testing system that contributes to the diagnosis of antimicrobial resistant organism and the innovation required for that purpose.
In recent years, the G7 has recognized that achieving comprehensive innovation in all areas of prevention, diagnosis, and treatment will be crucial for pandemic prevention, preparedness, and response (PPR). AMR Alliance Japan has worked to make the most of this momentum and has already presented recommendations focusing on treatment and pull incentives.
In response to the structural issues facing the testing market, there is a growing international need for restructuring testing systems and innovation, which was discussed at the 152nd World Health Organization Executive Council meeting in January-February 2023. Therefore, looking beyond the 2023 G7 Hiroshima Summit, we will publish recommendations specific to tests that contribute to diagnostic support, which are necessary to promote comprehensive and effective AMR countermeasures.
The outline of the recommendations is as follows.
Recommendation 1: Reaffirm that testing plays a vital role in diagnostic support and restructure diagnostic services to advance AMR countermeasures that are also compatible with a super-aging society.
Recommendation 2: Develop human resources and foster an environment to enable proactive AMR screening, microorganism identification, and drug susceptibility testing (including genetic testing).
Recommendation 3: While taking conditions at healthcare institutions and in each region into account, consider new incentives to expand diagnostic services at healthcare institutions by promoting testing systems that can be implemented in-house or that will improve the positions of and profitability for in-house and external testing departments.
The details can be found below.
Top Research & Recommendations Posts
- [Announcement] HGPI Joins Call for “Global Health and Medical Community Unite To Demand End Fossil Fuel Dependency at COP28” (November 1, 2023)
- [Policy Recommendations] Furthering the Development of Precision Cancer Medicine —Proposals for Effective Policy Changes Based on Key Characteristics of Precision Medicine in Cancer Treatment— (September 20, 2022)
- [Research Report] The Public Opinion Survey on Child-Rearing in Modern Japan (Final Report) (March 4, 2022)
- [Policy Recommendations] The 6 Steps for Engaging and Cooperating with Patients, Citizens, and Communities for Obesity Control (November 1, 2023)
- [Announcement] HGPI Declares the Ministry of the Environment-led ‘Deco-Katsu Declaration’ and Participation in the ‘Deco-Katsu’ Supporters (October 16, 2023)
- [Case Study] Akari Shigemi “The importance of proper antimicrobial use for MRSA infections – Beware of rifampicin monotherapy induced resistance” (AMR Alliance Japan, December 22, 2021)
- [Activity Report] HGPI Submits Requests for the G7 Hiroshima Summit to the G7 Sous-Sherpa (December 23, 2022)
- [Recommendations] The Future of Dementia Policy 2022: Deepening Dementia Policies Centered on People Living with Dementia and their Families to Lead Global Society (July 13, 2022)
- [Research Report] 2019 Survey on Healthcare in Japan
- [Urgent Recommendations] The Kidney Disease Control Promotion Project – Establishing Kidney Disease Control Measures with Patient, Citizen, and Community Engagement and Collaboration: Recommendations for Current Issues and Topics in Kidney Disease Control (May 11, 2022)
[Registration Open] Online Public Symposium “Dementia Risk Reduction: How Society Should Face the Individualization of Risk” (December 12, 2023)
[Policy Recommendations] The 6 Steps for Engaging and Cooperating with Patients, Citizens, and Communities for Obesity Control (November 1, 2023)
[Event Report] Health Information Project 1st Global Sage Meetings for “Co-creating Health Information Right” (July 21, 2023)
[Event Report] The Project for Considering the Future of Precision Medicine with Industry, Government, Academia, and Civil Society – The Policy Dialogue Event “Challenges and Prospects for the Improving Patient Access to Genomic Cancer Medicine” (October 11, 2023)
[Event Report] Planetary Health Expert Meeting “Healthy Planet, Healthy People: Building a New Collaborative Framework Focused on Climate Change and Health in the Asia-Pacific Region” (November 2, 2023)