[Publication Report] Taking Action for AMR Preparedness: Spurring Antibiotic Innovation for Healthy Ageing in Super-Ageing Japan (November 18, 2021)
date : 11/26/2021
The Global Coalition on Aging (GCOA) and the Health and Global Policy Institute (HGPI; Secretariat of AMR Alliance Japan) have launched a new report raising the alert on the coupled crises of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and a lack of antibiotic innovation. The new report, Taking Action for AMR Preparedness: Spurring Antibiotic Innovation for Healthy Ageing in Super-Ageing Japan, brings together insights from a private roundtable hosted by GCOA in May in collaboration with HGPI and sponsored by Pfizer Japan.
At the May roundtable, Japanese and global experts and decision makers discussed the impact of AMR on older adults, and the dire consequences of AMR for fiscal sustainability and economic growth in Japan and other aging societies. Based on that discussion, the five key takeaways of the new report offer a roadmap for action on this important issue for Japan and other aging societies:
- Innovative policy structures that support antimicrobial innovation are being modeled in countries including the United Kingdom and the United States.
- Global collaboration on AMR and antimicrobial innovation is essential. No single country can solve this problem by itself.
- AMR is an urgent issue for Japan in light of the impact that it could have on Japan’s super-ageing society.
- There is a window of opportunity for Japan to recognize the important role of incentives for innovation in protecting the Japanese public from the impact of AMR.
- There are lessons learned from COVID-19 that could help to address the AMR crisis.
For further information, please see the report below.
Top Research & Recommendations Posts
- [Public Comment Submission] “Basic Plan for the Promotion of Cancer Control (Draft)” (February 18, 2023)
- [Urgent Recommendations] Challenges and Prospects for the Implementation and Execution of the Basic Law and Basic Policy for Child and Maternal Health and Development (February 17, 2023)
- [Research Report] Building a Mental Health Program for Children and Measuring its Effectiveness (June 16, 2022）
- [Publication Report] The Children’s Health Project Publishes Family Mental Health Booklet “Nurturing Child and Guardian Mental Health through Our Communication with Children” in Five Languages (February 6, 2023)
- [Research Report] 2019 Survey on Healthcare in Japan
[Event Report] The Health and Global Policy Institute Chronic Disease Control Project Holds Advisory Board Meeting for “Engaging and Cooperating with Patients, Citizens, and Communities for Obesity Prevention” (September 22, 2022)
[In the Media] What Healthy Climate Prescription Teaches Us: Health Care’s Approach to the Climate Crisis (Min-Iren Iryo, No. 606; February 24, 2023)
[Event Report] HGPI Special Seminar – Universal Health Coverage in an Era of Antimicrobial Resistance (August 18, 2022)
[Event Report] The Cardiovascular Disease Control Promotion Project, Phase 2. “Current Issues and Prospects for Advancing Cardiovascular Disease Control Promotion Plans in Each Prefecture” (March 15, 2023)