[Event Report] The 1st Breakfast Study Session “How to Communicate Medical Information and Make Choices?” (October 31, 2023)
Health and Global Policy Institute (HGPI) held organizing breakfast study session for individual supporting members and those interested in health care policy from various fields.
The lecture for the first session, Ms. Naoko Iwanaga, a freelance medical journalist, provided a lecture titled “How to Communicate Medical Information and Make Choices?”
The lecture provided many insights from Ms. Iwanaga’s wide range of knowledge, including her motivation to become a medical journalist, her thoughts on web media cultivated throughout her career, and the value of accurate information and how to determine the value of accurate information.
In the Q&A session, in addition to questions received in advance and, there was a lively exchange of opinions.
■ Supporting member of HGPI (Annual membership fee 10,000 yen)
HGPI conducts its work with financial support from foundations and companies as well as individual members both domestic and international. Your continued support enables HGPI to continue its activities as a non-profit, non-partisan think tank. We would greatly appreciate your generous support.
To register as a supporting member, please check this link
After graduating from the University of Tokyo’s Faculty of Letters, Ms. Iwanaga joined the Yomiuri Shimbun in April 1998. After working as a reporter in the social affairs department and medical affairs departments, became editor-in-chief of yomiDr. in 2015. In May 2017, she joined BuzzFeed Japan and founded BuzzFeed JapanMedical, where she writes medical articles from a variety of perspectives. Since July 2023, he has been working as a freelance reporter, distributing medical articles in “The Newsletter of Naoko Iwanaga, Medical Reporter” and other publications on theLetter, a newsletter media platform provided by OutNow, Inc. Part-time customer service worker at an Italian restaurant in Tokyo since August 2022, in addition to her day job. She is the author of “Can Words Save Lives? Life and Death, from the Field of Care” (Shobunsha) and “Today, too, in the Light of the Restaurant” (East Press).
Top Research & Recommendations Posts
- [Announcement] HGPI Joins Call for “Global Health and Medical Community Unite To Demand End Fossil Fuel Dependency at COP28” (November 1, 2023)
- [Research Paper] “Rethinking Japan’s Health System Sustainability Under the Planetary Health Framework” Published in Health Systems & Reform (November 21, 2023)
- [Research Report] The Public Opinion Survey on Child-Rearing in Modern Japan (Final Report) (March 4, 2022)
- [Policy Recommendations] Furthering the Development of Precision Cancer Medicine —Proposals for Effective Policy Changes Based on Key Characteristics of Precision Medicine in Cancer Treatment— (September 20, 2022)
- [Activity Report] HGPI Submits Requests for the G7 Hiroshima Summit to the G7 Sous-Sherpa (December 23, 2022)
- [Urgent Recommendations] The Kidney Disease Control Promotion Project – Establishing Kidney Disease Control Measures with Patient, Citizen, and Community Engagement and Collaboration: Recommendations for Current Issues and Topics in Kidney Disease Control (May 11, 2022)
- [Case Study] Akari Shigemi “The importance of proper antimicrobial use for MRSA infections – Beware of rifampicin monotherapy induced resistance” (AMR Alliance Japan, December 22, 2021)
- [Research Report] Survey of Japanese Physicians Regarding Climate Change and Health (December 3, 2023)
- [Recommendations] The Future of Dementia Policy 2022: Deepening Dementia Policies Centered on People Living with Dementia and their Families to Lead Global Society (July 13, 2022)
- [Announcement] HGPI Declares the Ministry of the Environment-led ‘Deco-Katsu Declaration’ and Participation in the ‘Deco-Katsu’ Supporters (October 16, 2023)
[Registration Open] Online Public Symposium “Dementia Risk Reduction: How Society Should Face the Individualization of Risk” (December 12, 2023)
[Registration Open] (Webinar) HGPI Cooperation with Lancet Countdown 2023 Japan Presentation “Climate Change as a Children’s Health Issue: The Latest Lancet Report Sounds the Alarm for Health Commitments” (December 14, 2023)
[Event Report] The 1st Advisory Board Meeting for Patient and Public Involvement (PPI) Support Project “Necessary Steps for Promoting PPI in Policy Making” (October 3, 2023)
[Policy Recommendations] Coming Together to Protect and Foster: Promoting Innovative and Sustainable Planetary Health in the Asia-Pacific Region to Build Resilient Health Systems (November 29, 2023)
[Announcement] HGPI Endorsed “For the Health of People and Planet: Priorities for a Healthy COP28” (November 30, 2023)