[Event Report] Third Forum: Public Understanding – Increasing Public Awareness and Understanding on the Impacts and Benefits of Cost-Effectiveness Assessment – (November 12, 2018)
date : 11/28/2018
HGPI convened the Third Forum “Public Understanding – Increasing Public Awareness and Understanding on the Impacts and Benefits of Cost-Effectiveness Assessment -” on November 12, 2018.
Based on the issues raised at the preparatory meeting “Rebalancing Healthcare Systems: Innovation and Sustainability Series – Issues Identified from the Trial Introduction of Cost-Effectiveness Assessment” held on May 31, we identified three key themes (technical issues, issues for institutionalization, and public understanding) to be discussed in FY2018 and have been conducting a series of forums.
In this meeting, a roundtable discussion on Public Understanding on HTA was held with experts from industry, government, academia, and civil society. The discussions included policy functions required for the future implementation of Cost-Effectiveness Assessment, as well as its impact on the current healthcare and drug pricing systems.
The Final Symposium is scheduled as follows:
- Expert Meeting “The Future of Healthcare in Japan and Cost-Effective Assessment” (December 14, 2018)
Participants: Policymakers, representatives from the government, academia and private sectors
Opening (Explanatory introduction)
- Joji Sugawara (Associate, HGPI)
Roundtable Session “Public Understanding – Increasing Public Awareness and Understanding on the Impacts and Benefits of Cost-Effectiveness Assessment -“
Roundtable Speakers (Titles omitted, in Japanese syllabary order)
- Manabu Akazawa (Professor, Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, Meiji Pharmaceutical University)
- Mamoru Ichikawa (Principal Program Director, Production Center I Science Programs Division, Program Production Department, Japan Broadcasting Corporation (NHK))
- Sachie Inoue (Director, Crecon Medical Assessment Inc.)
- Satoshi Imamura (Vice-President, Japan Medical Association)
- Yoshie Onishi (Director, Japan Operations, Creativ-Ceutical K.K.)
- Kosuke Kato (Managing Director, Edwards Lifesciences Limited)
- Isao Kamae (Project Professor, Graduate School of Public Policy, the University of Tokyo)
- Yasushi Goto (Department of Respiratory Medicine, National Cancer Center Hospital)
- Shigekazu Komoto (Planning Officer, Medical Economics Division, Health Insurance Bureau, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW))
- Naomi Sakurai (President, Cancer Solutions Co., Ltd.)
- Toshio Nagase (Director, Government Affairs, Gilead Science K.K.)
- Hiroshi Nakamura (Professor, Graduate School of Business Administration, Keio University)
- Takashi Fukuda (Director, Department of Health and Welfare Service, National Institution of Public health)
- Yoshiyuki Majima (President, Pancreatic Cancer Action Network Japan)
- Joji Sugawara (Associate, HGPI)
Since 2016, HGPI has conducted a series of expert meetings entitled “Rebalancing Healthcare Systems: Innovation and Sustainability” to facilitate open discussions on HTA. Throughout these meetings, we have worked to identify the issues and to provide policy recommendations. For the past activities, please refer to the “Activity Report – Special Edition on Innovation and Sustainability” (attached below).