[Activity Report] HGPI and Japan Society of Stress Management Submit Recommendations on Stress Management Education (August 10, 2023)
The Health and Global Policy Institute (HGPI) Children’s Health Project team, the HGPI Mental Health Policy Project team, and the Japan Society of Stress Management submitted joint policy recommendations titled “Steps for Implementing Children’s Stress Management in Society” to Ms. Takae Ito, Parliamentary Vice-Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
(1) We request a revision be made to the Courses of Study to secure at least six hours per year for each grade from the first year of elementary school to the third year of high school so children can learn practical methods of stress management. Furthermore, we request that notices and other announcements be issued before the next revision of the Courses of Study so stress management education can be implemented within existing frameworks such as those for integrated studies and special activities.
(2) We request the creation of a system that teaches children concrete methods of addressing stress and that enables early detection of mental distress using tablets and other terminals in a similar manner to the Stress Check System used for adults.
(3) As providing stress management education during periods of non-emergency will also be effective for preparing people for disasters, accidents, and other periods of distress and help to prevent sexual violence (“Safety Education for Life”), please set aside time specifically for stress management education within curricula.
(4) Please conduct a nationwide survey on the implementation status of stress management education in schools, gather best practices, and proactively publicize those best practices to serve as points of reference for schools that will introduce stress management education in the future.
Top Research & Recommendations Posts
- [Policy Recommendations] Expectations for the 2023 UHC Political Declaration from a Planetary Health Perspective (September 8, 2023)
- [Policy Recommendations] Improving Patient Access to Genomic Cancer Medicine (August 10, 2023)
- [Publication Report] Planetary Health Promotion Project “Issues Facing Planetary Health and the Role of the Health Sector” (May 10, 2023)
- [Urgent Recommendations] The Kidney Disease Control Promotion Project – Establishing Kidney Disease Control Measures with Patient, Citizen, and Community Engagement and Collaboration: Recommendations for Current Issues and Topics in Kidney Disease Control (May 11, 2022)
- [Research Report] 2019 Survey on Healthcare in Japan
- [Announcement] Signs Open Letter Calling for Action at UN High-Level Meeting on Pandemic Prevention, Preparedness and Response (September 12, 2023)
- [Activity Report] Recommendations for Creating a Sustainable Innovation Ecosystem for Antimicrobial R&D (August 1, 2023)
- [Recommendations] Mental Health 2020 – Proposal for Tomorrow: Five Perspectives on Mental Health Policy (July 21, 2020)
- [Policy Recommendations] Building a Research and Development System Together With People Living with Dementia and Their Families to Drive Parallel Progress in Creating an Inclusive Society and Advancing R&D (April 25, 2023)
- [Event Report] “Global Trends and Japan’s Mental Health Policy” Global Expert Meeting (December 18, 2019)
[Registration Open] An Online Seminar for World Mental Health Day 2023 – Mental Health for People in Their Teens and Twenties: Putting Our Heads Together to Think of Hints for Supporting Mental Health for Young People (October 4, 2023)
[Urgent Recommendations] The Ideal System for Obstetric Care in Japan in the Era of Birthrate Decline (September 15, 2023)
[Registration Open] (Webinar) The 120th HGPI Seminar – Necessary Steps for Promoting the Integrated Provision of Palliative Care from Post-diagnosis to End-of-Life With Addressing Cancer Related Pain (October 10, 2023)