[Policy Recommendation] Recommendation for the Basic Policy on Economic and Fiscal Management and Reform 2023 (May 24, 2023)
date : 6/7/2023
On May 24, 2023, AMR Alliance Japan (Secretariat: Health and Global Policy Institute) released “Recommendation for the Basic Policy on Economic and Fiscal Management and Reform 2023” to promote infectious disease control measures to combat antimicrobial resistance (AMR). The content of the recommendations was as follows.
Promote countermeasures for antimicrobial resistance (AMR) with a One Health approach from perspectives including economic security and serve as a global leader in strengthening preparedness against the threat of infectious disease.
Every year since 2016, Japan’s Basic Policies on Economic and Fiscal Management and Reform have mentioned strengthening efforts to promote AMR control and expanding systems for research, testing, and treatment. Mention of this objective was expanded in 2022 to state, “Japan will also comprehensively examine concrete methods to secure therapeutic drugs for drug-resistant bacteria such as market incentives in measures designed to counter drug resistance, draw conclusions based on these examinations, and then play a leading role in international discussions.” In this manner, Japan has emphasized the importance of AMR control.
As described in the attachment titled, “Promoting Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) Countermeasures in the Basic Policy on Economic and Fiscal Management and Reform 2023 Recommendation Background,” progress is being made in measures to combat AMR both in Japan and around the world. Looking ahead to the 79th session of the UN General Assembly (UNGA 79) in 2024 and beyond, it will be crucial for Japan to fulfill its commitments to the international community in its capacity as G7 President in 2023 based on the idea that infectious disease control cannot be fully implemented by countries acting alone.
“Recommendation for the Basic Policy on Economic and Fiscal Management and Reform 2023” and “Promoting Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) Countermeasures in the Basic Policy on Economic and Fiscal Management and Reform 2023 Recommendation Background” can be found here.
Top Research & Recommendations Posts
- [Research Report] Survey of Japanese Physicians Regarding Climate Change and Health (December 3, 2023)
- [Research Paper] “Rethinking Japan’s Health System Sustainability Under the Planetary Health Framework” Published in Health Systems & Reform (November 21, 2023)
- [Announcement] HGPI Joins Call for “Global Health and Medical Community Unite To Demand End Fossil Fuel Dependency at COP28” (November 1, 2023)
- [Research Report] The Public Opinion Survey on Child-Rearing in Modern Japan (Final Report) (March 4, 2022)
- [Announcement] HGPI Endorsed “For the Health of People and Planet: Priorities for a Healthy COP28” (November 30, 2023)
- [Policy Recommendations] Furthering the Development of Precision Cancer Medicine —Proposals for Effective Policy Changes Based on Key Characteristics of Precision Medicine in Cancer Treatment— (September 20, 2022)
- [Activity Report] HGPI Submits Requests for the G7 Hiroshima Summit to the G7 Sous-Sherpa (December 23, 2022)
- [Urgent Recommendations] The Kidney Disease Control Promotion Project – Establishing Kidney Disease Control Measures with Patient, Citizen, and Community Engagement and Collaboration: Recommendations for Current Issues and Topics in Kidney Disease Control (May 11, 2022)
- [Policy Recommendations] Coming Together to Protect and Foster: Promoting Innovative and Sustainable Planetary Health in the Asia-Pacific Region to Build Resilient Health Systems (November 29, 2023)
- [Research Report] Building a Mental Health Program for Children and Measuring its Effectiveness (June 16, 2022）
[Registration Open] Online Public Symposium “Dementia Risk Reduction: How Society Should Face the Individualization of Risk” (December 12, 2023)
[Research Report] Survey of Japanese Physicians Regarding Climate Change and Health (December 3, 2023)
[Registration Open] (Webinar) The 122nd HGPI Seminar: Keeping Pace with Growing Diversity of Health Information in Health Communication (December 19, 2023)
[Policy Recommendations] Recommendation: Suggestions for Building a Resilient and Greener Health Care System Considering Sustainability and Environmental Concerns in the Revision of Medical, Nursing Care, and Disability Welfare Service Fees (December 6, 2023)
[Registration Open] Online Global Expert Meeting: Considering Participation Among People Living with Dementia in the Formulation of National Dementia Strategies and in Policy Making Processes (January 22, 2024)