[Event Report] Preparatory Meeting “Rebalancing Healthcare Systems: Innovation and Sustainability Series – Issues Identified from the Trial Introduction of Cost-Effectiveness Assessment” (May 31, 2018)
date : 6/14/2018
******* The Report has been published.
For more information, please refer to the PDF.
Health and Global Policy Institute (HGPI) conducted a preparatory meeting entitled “Rebalancing Healthcare Systems: Innovation and Sustainability Series – Issues Identified from the Trial Introduction of Cost-Effectiveness Assessment.”
The creation of efficient and effective healthcare systems to ensure innovation and sustainability is a common issue not only in Japan, but in every country worldwide. Efforts are being made country by country to appropriately assess medical treatments. For example, some people expect that cost-effective healthcare and optimal allocation of resources may become possible via Health Technology Assessment (HTA). In Japan, there have been discussions held for the introduction of HTA particularly at the Committee for Cost-Effectiveness Assessment within the Central Social Insurance Medical Council (Chuikyo) since FY2012. The trial introduction of Cost-Effectiveness Assessment was conducted, and the dialogue will be continued in FY2018 towards a full-scale introduction.
This year, HGPI will organize the “Rebalancing Healthcare Systems: Innovation and Sustainability” Forum Series to facilitate discussions on HTA, bringing together multi-stakeholders from industry, government, academia, and civil society.
At this Preparatory Meeting, as a kick-off for the main FY2018 Forum Series, we identified priority tasks to be addressed in the forums, based on the results from the HGPI Global Expert Meetings held in FY2017 (April/October), as well as issues highlighted through the trial introduction of Cost-Effectiveness Assessment, and subsequent discussions held at Chuikyo.
Organizer: Health and Global Policy Institute (HGPI)
Participants: Policymakers, relevant ministry officials, academic and corporate stakeholders, etc.
Opening (Explanatory introduction)
- Joji Sugawara (Associate, HGPI)
Roundtable discussion on topics/agenda to be covered in the FY2018 Forum Series
Roundtable speakers: (titles omitted, in Japanese syllabary order)
- Manabu Akazawa (Professor, Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, Meiji Pharmaceutical University)
- Shinsuke Amano (Executive Director, Japan Federation of Cancer Patient Groups)
- Ataru Igarashi (Associate Professor, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo)
- Mamoru Ichikawa (Principal Program Director, Production Center I Science Programs Division, Program Production Department, Japan Broadcasting Corporation (NHK))
- Satoshi Imamura (Vice-President, Japan Medical Association)
- Ichiro Innami (Professor, Faculty of Policy Management, Graduate School of Media and Governance, Keio University)
- Yoshie Onishi (Director, Japan Operations, Creativ-Ceutical K.K.)
- Kosuke Kato (Managing Director, Edwards Lifesciences Limited)
- Keiji Kono (Senior Vice President, Global Health Policy, External Affairs, Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.)
- Hidehito Kotani (President, PHC Holdings Corporation)
- Yasushi Goto (Department of Respiratory Medicine, National Cancer Center Hospital)
- Shigekazu Komoto (Planning Officer, Medical Economics Division, Health Insurance Bureau, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW))
- Shinya Saito (Professor, Graduate School of Health Sciences, Okayama University)
- Naokazu Saito (Chief, Policy Intelligence Division, Integrated Market Access Department, Janssen Pharmaceutical K.K.)
- Hiroyuki Sakamaki (Professor, School of Management, Tokyo University of Science)
- Tomoyuki Takura (Project Professor, Department of Healthcare Economics and Health Policy, Graduate School of Medicine and Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo)
- Makoto Tamura (Founder and CEO, Healthcare System Planning Institute)
- Toshio Nagase (Director, Government Affairs, Gilead Science K.K.)
- Ryu Niki (Adviser and Professor Emeritus, Nihon Fukushi University)
- Yoshiyuki Majima (President, Pancreatic Cancer Action Network Japan)
- Ryoji Noritake (President, HGPI)
- Yuiko Kondo (Senior Associate, HGPI)
We will conduct a series of forums based on the discussions held at this preparatory meeting.